Now that the horses have bolted, cievents can report that it was heavily involved in the design of the Emirates marquee for Melbourne Cup 2016. A what a marquee it is!
The marquee featured the largest balcony in the marquee’s history, giving guests a perfect view of the home straight.
It was specifically designed to take in all of the racing, while maintaining a relaxing atmosphere #CelebrateTheMoment.
Emirates celebrated 20 years of flying to Australia this year, and chose the theme of “Australia” for their Spring Carnival Hospitality. cievents worked with a team of talented professionals to create an Australian homestead-inspired marquee, taking inspiration from its local destinations – Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and Sydney – into an interior filled with vibrant and unique flora and fauna including eucalyptus mint, waratahs, kangaroo paws and cockatoos.
To create the design, cievents collaborated with Bazmark Inq head designer, Silvana Azzi Heras, who has worked alongside Baz Luhrmann and Catherine Martin for the past 18 years, as well as Mary-Jane Coy who was responsible for the amazing florals and fauna.
Inspired by Australia’s vibrant and unique flora and fauna, guests of the Emirates marquee were greeted by a towering 4m Queensland Bottle Tree, which took pride of place in the centre of the marquee. This was complimented by 1930s-inspired art deco furnishings with a contemporary Australian design.
Racegoers were able to enjoy unsurpassed views of the Flemington racetrack on a sweeping veranda that extended the length of the marquee, and was adorned with rainforest ferns and palms found in Victoria’s Otway ranges.
The main features of the marquee included:
- The largest balcony in the marquee’s history, overlooking the final straight of the Flemington raceway;
- The entertainment (arranged by PPR Australia) payed tribute to Australia’s heritage and Indigenous culture with a contemporary dance performance in collaboration with Stan Yarramunua, a well-known Aboriginal artist and didgeridoo player who has commissioned work for the likes of Stevie Wonder, Prince, Bono, AC/DC and Snoop Dogg;
- The Emirates Melbourne Cup Trophy on display;
- Interiors showcasing the open, clean and fresh lifestyle enjoyed in the Autralian outback, highlighted by mirrors, flowers on tables and the walls, trees, a spacious balcony and luxurious table settings;
- A clean building facade, that appealed to anyone wanting to retreat from the frantic fun of the festival around the race track;
- Extensive carpeting, including on the stairs, making the day more comfortable for attendees;
- The Parlour – a pampering space where Lancome makeup director Lara Srokowski was stationed alongside hairdresser Joey Scandizzo;
- Some of Australia’s finest sea pearls in an Autore showcase;
- The incredible catering, arranged by Romano Beck, had Tony Cimmino on the BBQ, with a curated Australian menu; A sit-down restaurant menu created by Nancy Kinchella, with one dish from each of the five Australian cities that Emirates flies to (Adelaide, Sydney, Perth, Brisbane and Melbourne); and
- Featured guests Molly Meldrum, Olympia Valance, Carrie Bickmore, Gina Rinehart and Rachel Griffiths.
For more information on cievents, visit the website.