August 3, 2021 | By Bronwen Largier | Image: Iconic Australian singer Kate Ceberano out on the Mundi Mundi Plains where she will perform at the rescheduled April festival | Credit: Nathan Edwards

Its sister event, the Big Red Bash, may have gone ahead triumphantly last month, despite much of Australia being in lockdown just a week earlier, but Sydney’s lockdown has caused the inaugural Broken Hill Mundi Mundi Bash to be postponed for the second time in a month, with the event now to be held in 2022.

The outback music festival was originally scheduled to be held August 19-21 this year, before being rescheduled to September after the Sydney lockdown settled in for the long haul. Organisers have now made the call to move the festival to April 21-23 next year.

“We were on a high from staging the hugely successful and COVID safe Birdsville Big Red Bash [in July] when we made our first announcement to postpone the Mundi Mundi Bash from August to September this year,” said festival owner and Managing Director of the Outback Music Festival Group, Greg Donovan.

“And at that time we really believed it was achievable. We had micro planned and executed an incredible COVID safety plan at the Big Red Bash and were the first multi-day major music festival to be staged in Australia since COVID hit.

“We felt confident that with that experience under our belts we could run another COVID safe event this year. No one could have predicted the situation we now find ourselves in with the Delta variant – and it’s become abundantly clear that for the safety of our patrons, and the local Broken Hill community, we could not possibly stage such a major event at the end of September.

“Moving the event to later this year unfortunately wasn’t an option as our beautiful outback setting becomes scorching hot.  Camping in 45-50 degree heat isn’t something anyone would sign up for – regardless of how awesome the line-up is,” he said.

Most of the acts on the bill for the rescheduled September festival have been lined up for the new April dates and Broken Hill City Council Mayor Darriea Turley AM has given her seal of approval for the second set of new dates.

“I think it’s a good move to push the event back given the ongoing uncertainty that is being created by the escalating COVID-19 situation in NSW,” she said.

“We’re extremely happy with the proposed new dates as the event will fall between the Easter long weekend and the Anzac Day public holiday. The Bash will complement our own Heritage Festival over Easter, and will allow visitors to enjoy an extended stay in the city without using too much leave.

“It has the potential to be a marquee week of entertainment and culture and heritage in the city, so we hope organisers enjoy some better luck in their tireless efforts to bring this massive event to Broken Hill.”

The 10,000 person event was sold out prior to the first postponement.