MACAO The International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) Weekend held at The Venetian Macao last week ran with a series of environmentally-friendly measures in place.
“Since 2007, IIFA has been committed to the ‘green’ cause. From an energy-efficient awards event to the world’s first ever green carpet, we continue to create awareness and voice environmental concerns through prominent celebrities from the Indian film fraternity who vehemently support our cause at the IIFAs,” Wizcraft International & IIFA director, Sabbas Joseph said.
As a repeat official host destination partner for the event, which comprised an awards ceremony, meetings and accommodation, The Venetian Macao’s focus on placing its green meetings initiative as a priority saw a 70 per cent reduction in water usage after the IIFA event.
Venetian Macao vice-president of convention and exhibition operations, Gene Capuano said: “Our entire operations team is on board with creating more environmentally responsible events for our clients. Being able to educate and support them with these initiatives is of the utmost importance to us.”
Some measures include:
- Strategically-located recycling bins
- Energy and water conservation by monitoring lights and air conditioners
- Absence of tablecloths and seat covers where possible
- Water flow controllers in the back-of-house areas
- More vegetarian selections on the menu
- Reuse of IIFA green carpet
- Backdrop wood post-event to be dismantled and recycled as part of a new wood recycling programme at Sand China Ltd. Properties
- No-idling policy for loading and unloading by contractors
- Energy-efficient audio-visual technology, reuse of batteries
- Sands China Ltd.’s support of tree planting programme under the Nature Conservancy’s campaign
An Event Sustainability Report will be produced to document all notable sustainability achievements, including the Sands ECO360° Event Impact Statement summarising the event’s carbon footprint, energy consumption, water usage and recycling rate.