The Adelaide Convention Bureau is increasing its push to attract conferences from the health sector in a bid to capitalise on the government’s recent investment into health industries with two new events announced this month – The Independent Hospital Pricing Authority Conference 2015 and GE Health conference 2015.
Adelaide Convention Bureau chief executive Damien Kitto said while the bureau had already been relatively successful in attracting events within the health and medical genre, this new level of investment from the state government has enabled a more strategic focus on this robust conference category.
“The opening of the SA Health and Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI), the new Royal Adelaide Hospital and other associated institutes is key to our strategy,” he said.
“The bureau is also working closely with the state government’s recently established Health In SA with its focus on research and economic growth within the sector, to identify national and international conference opportunities.”
The calendar of confirmed health sector events to be hosted by Adelaide through to 2017 is looking good with 37 events secured already.
“These events combined are expected to generate 98,800 bed nights and $97.4m to the state economy and importantly create 808 jobs.
“A further 15 conferences with a combined 12,000 delegates have already been identified with the bidding processes currently in the pipeline” Mr Kitto, said.
Health Industries minister Jack Snelling said “the Government of South Australia is pleased to be able to support the Adelaide Convention Bureau in whatever way we are able, to assist them in attracting these events to Adelaide.”
In recent years, the Adelaide Convention Bureau has become a founding member of the Global Science Alliance – also comprising Daejeon (South Korea), Hyderabad (India), Toulouse (France) and recently joined, Prague (Czech Republic) which is already paying dividends.
Events secured for Adelaide in the health genre to 2017 include:
- Australian Medical Students Association National Convention, July 2014
- Changing the Face of Genetic Medicine Conference, Aug 2014
- Australian and New Zealand Society of Occupational Medicine Annual Scientific Meeting, Aug 2014
- Aged and Community Services Australia National Conference, Sept 2014
- Internal Medicine Society of Australia and New Zealand Annual Scientific Meeting, Sept 2014
- Annual Scientific Meeting of the Australasian Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine, Sept 2014
- International Commission on Occupational Health- Work Organisation and Psychosocial Factors, Sept 2014
- Australian College of Neonatal Nurses National Conference, Sept 2014
- 19th Annual Scientific Meeting of the International Society of Cardiovascular Pharmacotherapy, Sept 2014
- 9th Asian Pacific Craniofacial Association Conference, Oct 2014
- GP 14, Oct 2014
- Chiropractors Association of Australia National Development Forum, Oct 2014
- Australian College of Nursing Forum, Nov 2014
- 50th Human Factors and Ergonomics Society of Australia National Conference, Nov 2014
- 2014 Australasian College of Infection Prevention & Control (ACIPC) Conference, Nov 2014
- Australian Association of Gerontology National Conference 2014, Nov 2014
- Australasian Society for Psychiatric Research 2014 Conference, Dec 2014
- International Spark of Life Conference, Apr 2015
- Urological Society of Australia and NZ 68th Annual Scientific Meeting, Apr 2015
- Parkinsons Australia National Conference, May 2015
- Australian Rheumatology Association 56th Annual Scientific Meeting, May 2015
- Independent Hospital Pricing Authority Conference 2015
- Primary Health Care Research Conference, July 2015
- South Australian Perioperative Nurses Association State Conference 2015, Sept 2015
- Paramedics Australasia Conference, Oct 2015
- GE Health Conference 2015
- Pharmacy Australia Conference, Oct 2015
- Colostomy Association of Australia National Conference, Oct 2015
- Royal Australian and NZ College of Radiologists Annual Scientific Meeting, Oct 2015
- Australian and New Zealand Society for Paediatric Dentistry 18th Biennial Conference, Nov 2015
- Australasian College of Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine Conference, Mar 2016
- Royal Australasian College of Physicians Annual Congress, May 2016
- MASCC/ISOO International Symposium on Supportive Care in Cancer, June 2016
- 10th Asia Pacific Conference on Clinical Nutrition, Feb 2017
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Annual Scientific Meeting, May 2017
- Australian Dental Association National Convention, May 2017
- 16th Australian Palliative Care Conference, Sept 2017